We have been working with the Google Sites for a project and thought I would record my experience here for my records and those who might be interested.
We have an Assessment Task for 180 students where they are required to create a webpage. My initial thoughts were to get into the cloud so the students can work at home and at school on the activity. Lets say the subject is Geography and the school’s initials are MP.
I am aware I can get the Google apps for the school domain name and I started that process but won’t get in ready in time for the task . So I have pressed on with this evolving solution to get things up and running. This appoach can work for those who don’t has the capacity to set up Google Apps for their school.
The breakdown is like this. For example
So I opted for and managed to get these names:
Note for the C and E class I had to get a digit to get the name and be close to the others for consistency and ease for the students.
My next obstacle came when I realised I could not create 25 sites for each account name so I had to create six accounts for each class allowing five sites for each account. So I ended up with this combination of 36 six accounts with six for each class with five students in each:
- mp_8a.geography…. mp_8a1.geography…. mp_8a2.geography…. mp_8a3.geography….etc
I have made each account private and each teacher can use the student logon. I have also created a separate teacher account and might add them to each site as a collaborator and they can graze each account and site more easily.
The next step is to get the spreadsheet organised with the account names and allocating the students five at a time to each account.
A work in progress which I am enjoying and learning a lot about Google.